Recipe type: Meat
I can’t give away the family recipe, and there’s no such thing as exact measurements where I come from, but the foundation of a good Afghan kabob marinade is as follows:
- 1 onion
- Several cloves of garlic
- Juice of at least 1 lemon or lime (or a mix of the two)
- At least ½ cup distilled vinegar
- A few tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil
- A good amount of salt to taste
- A good amount of pepper to taste
- In a blender, liquefy all ingredients and pour over any meat of your choosing.
- Marinate for as long as possible before grilling.
- Making it your own means experimenting with spices like cumin, turmeric, curry powder, and sumac, among others. Other variations include adding yogurt, chili peppers, or fresh herbs like cilantro and parsley into the blender.