pag's needle macaroni
Recipe type: meat
- 500 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-3 teaspoons paprika
- 500 grams minced or finely-chopped lamb
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3-4 tablespoon parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sage, chopped
- salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients and make a stiff dough.
- Let it rest 15-20 minutes, then cut small pieces.
- Wrap each piece of dough around a skewer and rub between your palms to form macaroni.
- Take off and place onto a clean cloth; repeat with remaining dough.
- When everything used, cook macaroni in salted water in 3-4 batches (they will come to the surface; boil for a couple of minutes more).
- Take them out and place onto oiled serving plate.
- Heat oil, sauté onion, then add other vegetables.
- Mix well and add meat and spices.
- Cook until meat looses its pink color.
- Add broth and canned tomato paste, season to taste.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Spoon meat sauce over the macaroni.
- Sprinkle with shaved Paški cheese, available at Cromade.com.